Monday, July 9, 2012

Creepy Crawlers!!! Higad Season!

It has been raining on and off this June and July. Our front yard has never been so green and abundant with our bougainvilleas growing mad, kamote (sweet potato) vines competing with our green and purple alugabati (malavar spinach). Yes, I do live in the city, & lucky enough we have a small plot of soil to plant some veggies. 

Aside from all the plants growing abundantly with rain comes Higad season as well & this has been the first time that I experienced this while living in Manila. They just crawled everywhere, ate all the green that were in front of them, and even crawled inside my bedroom. I didn't want to step on them. So, I let them be.

Some of them ended up being eaten by ants.
Higad attack at the garden.


So, they crawled and created cocoons on every corner in my room, they're 10 in total and I told myself. "Okay, I'll leave you alone as long as you leave me alone, & let's see what kind of moth you'll become." Having experienced keeping some green caterpillars for my son, I knew that a cocoon normally would turn into a moth, and a chrysalis into a beautiful butterfly.

Not only did it create cocoons on every corner, it also created some on my bed sheet.

Moth on bedsheet.


I saw this moth beside one of the cocoons, I'm assuming that this moth belonged to one of the cocoons.
The little brown hairy Higad turns into this kind of moth. 

As you can see in this photo, one of the cocoons are being attacked by the red ants.


Moth from Higad Cocoon.






No comments:

Post a Comment