Monday, July 2, 2012

DIY & Reuse: Easy Shelf Pen, Tools containers






I just received a whole new space for my Art materials as well as my ever increasing bead collection, to top it all up I also have several office stuff to organize. 

So, given the circumstance that my conscience won't let me spend a lot of money for nice, new and mass produced containers, I had to think of ways to create a container that won't cost me too much, which was also simple in design. 

I chanced upon  a paper tube (its former life was to hold several meters of celluloid wrapper) at one of the local bookstores selling school and office supply & made me think. This is my perfect container!  The local store didn't have a price for it, so they sold it to me for 12 cents or Php5.  

materials: paper tube, metal saw, ruler/tape measure (not shown), pencil or pen.



How to: 1. Choose how deep you would like your container to be, I decided on the length of 5 inches for my shelf. 2.  Measure 5 inches from the tip of the tube & mark it with a line, to know where you're going to cut your first tube. 


3. Using the metal saw, cut the tube to the desired length. (my metal saw was borrowed and you can completely see that it was just made from a construction metal pipe, which they use for building a house)


4. My long tube produced around 10 small ones.



5. After cutting, just put them in the shelf, don't forget to put heavy stoppers on both ends of the smalls tubes so it won't run off. What you can also do is glue them to each other but I like them better unglued so I can easily move them and reuse them as thread/yarn/cord/chain holders. Finally. Put all your pens, pencils, cutter, scissors, bead tubes, etc. on your shelf containers, then you're done. ENJOY! 



No comments:

Post a Comment